Search my blog

Saturday, 22 January 2011

Cough Cough Cough!

This week has been my first week of full time work. Unfortunately I can’t right everything I want to write on here about work, but needless to say it isn’t a brilliant place to be at the moment, not just for me but for others in the team as well, but that another story.

In December last year I had a high temperature and a cough/cold and ended up going to the emergency doctor to check me out. He prescribed some penicillin and sent me on my way. The seem, at first, to have worked; but I was left with a niggling cough since then. Well yesterday at work it cam out full blown again, I filled a bin up with tissues from blowing my nose and I kept coughing all of the time.

Another member of staff shouted across from the other side of the room, ‘It sounds like you are dying in the corner and will be dead soon’; Lots of quips came through my head to retaliate, but I think they would only really make her feel bad, as I don’t think she knows I have myeloma, so I just ignored it. Besides I was too busy coughing.

The coughing got worse as the evening went  on I felt much worse, I was making myself sick with the amount of coughing I was doing. I’ve been drinking lots of herbal teas to put the fluids back in me and sucking on lozengers. I didn’t get much sleep last night as every time I lay down I just started coughing.

Todays plan was to go to the chemist to pick up my prescription of Bonefos then go shopping for a few things. All that had to change and I decided that I need to call the doctor as I’m not feeling at all well. Normally I would just leave it and see how it went, but I thought why should I struggle I’m not well!  I never went through the same routine as I did in December and just called the emergency doctors number. After the usual interrogation (name, dob, problem etc) they said someone would call me back, which they did in about half an hour.

I got the call back and went through lots more question and an appointment has been made for 2:40 today. (just ran out of tissues!). So I will let you know how I get on later.

I’m really disappointed that I’ve come down with this, I had a photo shoot with a family tomorrow that I have had to cancel. I hate letting people down. It can’t be helped though as I need to be well enough and not spread it to anyone else.

I will post some of the pictures I’ve taken over the last few weeks as well.

Now I need to go and find some more tissues…..


  1. I much prefer 'cough it up it could be a gold clock'.

    On Tues when my temp was up a bit I decided then I would call the emergency doc if things didn't improve - after considering my options. Being home alone and car-less had to be taken into account.

    So last night I didn't hestiate - especially bearing in mind your NHS direct experience plus you can't get popcorn over the phone.

    Hope you feeling better soon. x

  2. I swear by Vick's vapo-rub at night to help a cough and get some sleep. I wouldn't have caught a single wink if not for that when I had bronchitis over the holidays. I smear that stuff all over my chest and neck and it helps with that constant drip in the throat. Feel better soon!